Fibroscan is a non-invasive imaging tool used in the overall management of liver health. While an effective tool in diagnosing liver scarring, it is not a direct substitute for other imaging procedures such as Ultrasound or MRI. When partnered with other imaging and lab work, it allows for a comprehensive evaluation for the diagnosis and treatment of various liver diseases.
- FDA approved
- Non-invasive, 10-minute procedure
- Early detection of liver fibrosis
- No hospitalization
- No recovery time
- Covered by most insurance companies
- Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C
- Liver disease related to alcohol consumption
- Alcoholic Fatty liver disease
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
- Chronic liver disease, such as:
- Primary Biliary Cholangitis (PBC)
- Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC)
During a FibroScan, your technician will use a probe to send pulses of energy to your liver. This provides a measure of the amount of scaring and fat buildup in your liver. This, in conjunction with your medical history, will give your doctor important information regarding your liver health.
- Do not eat or drink for three hours prior to a FibroScan appointment. No additional preparation for this appointment is necessary.
- This noninvasive procedure is painless and does not require any form of sedation.
- The FibroScan procedure only takes a few minutes to complete, after which you are immediately back on your feet.
- Results are sent to our physician for review and interpretation, then shared with you and/or your provider.